We are very lucky to have a Spanish teacher who comes in each week to teach Spanish from Reception to Year 6.
INTENT at St John’s we aim to:
- give all pupils the opportunity to learn Spanish.
- develop pupils’ listening, speaking, reading and writing skills and prepare them for KS3.
- encourage a positive attitude towards learning languages.
- develop the confidence to explore and experiment with unfamiliar vocabulary and pronunciation.
- develop an awareness of cultural differences and an appreciation of where Spanish is officially spoken in the world.
IMPLEMENTATION at St John’s we:
- teach Spanish for 45 minutes per week in year 5 & 6, 30 minutes per week in year 2,3 and 4 and 20 minutes per week in year 1 and R.
- ensure topics are relevant and lessons are fun and engaging.
- encourage pupils to speak with increasing confidence and fluency and continually improve the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation.
- enhance Spanish learning through games, role plays, songs, rhymes, music, videos and the use of props.
- revisit vocabulary topics throughout the school to deepen understanding and ensure progression.